MEP Coordination on BIM
The primary purpose of MEP Modeling and Coordination is to improve the communication and coordination between Architects, MEP engineers, Contractors and Fabricators. It involves coordinating all building services, such as plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and public health, with other disciplines to create a building structure, external envelope, and fabric.
MEP BIM modeling helps in validating a building design virtually and ensures that the designs remain clash free. Engineers can also effectively visualize how the existing structures, new construction and MEP system fits together, this enables them to make the required design iterations and take informed decisions. During coordination, as clashes are found, the systems are redesigned by relevant consultants and then remodeled to present a finalized clash free design.
Using advanced three dimensional tools for creating comprehensive and accurate virtual models of buildings and services can bring more certainty to a construction and engineering project. The benefits of data driven MEP information models can be fully leveraged in order to optimize MEP systems within buildings for better performance. Equipped with the MEP coordination capabilities, all project stakeholders can ensure a fully coordinated project and mitigate onsite issues.
MEP modeling and documentation is not only crucial for new construction proposals but is also pivotal for planning refurbishing, revamping or renovating existing structures. Typically, all MEP coordination work is created in 3D environment, developing BIM models that offer the following benefits:
- Using advanced clash detection software such as Navisworks, we can ensure that there are no clashes in the model or MEP coordination and drafting process
- The process represents all mechanical components in an accurate and precise manner, thus, ensuring that every spatial issue is addressed before the actual construction process on site
- Facilitates improved communication and coordination, since 3D models can be viewed and walked through for review, demo, quality checks, and value engineering
- Reduces or eliminates site based disputes or delays since all critical components have already been proven to work within the building
- Allows multiple views, detailed drawings and sections to be produced quickly and easily
- Improved client satisfaction due to review of detailed views of the building in a 3D environment, with sufficient scope to improve or make changes
BIM proves to be highly beneficial for MEP coordination because it is capable of revealing all the complexities related to the building process and the related systems significantly.